Saturday, April 2, 2011

Labor Day Weekend 2010

 I was clearing out the posts and found this one in the archives that I hadn't published.  Figured iffn it was worth keepin', it was worth postin'.

Well, Hell must have frozen over this year. For the first time since 1996 I will be here in El Paso for Labor Day Week end. Due to financial considerations, and home issues, I had to cancel my annual pilgrimage to the "Town Too Tough to Die." Dave and Millie Cookson, and Marilyn Weaver of the Paso del Norte Pistoleros willl be heading down to judge the parade. Dangerous Dave will fill in for me as Judge.

This will be the 29th annual Rendevouz of Gunfighters. I am proud to say I have attended most of them. In the beginning the costuming was blah to say the least. My running joke was that when the "dance hall girls" asked if you wanted to see their "plums", they had to lift their skirts. In the six years I have been judging the parade on Sunday, the attire has improved dramatically.  Every once in awhile I see a throw back to the "Bad old Days", but not very often.

I have met some wonderful people there over the years as well.  The Traywicks have always been gracious and supportive.

I'm gonna miss it.  But come Hell or High Water I'm gonna make it next year!!!!!

No comments: