Tuesday, August 3, 2010

No Title Tonight

I was going to write a nice article about how the month of August was almost as bad as April when it came time for death in Old West El Paso. It was on todays' date in 1880 that John Woods was appointed as assistance City Marshal under John Tays. I haven't confirmed it, but best I could gather this makes him our first African-American police officer. There was other things I'd have liked to mention, but they seemed insignificant.

I looked at the calendar, and realized that it was this evening, two years ago that we lost a friend. The Friends of Ft Seldon had gone to Billy the Kid days up in Lincoln, NM. We wew packing up when Leroy Grizzell collapsed. That evening we lost one hell of a man, friend, mentor and father. I can't help but think, when I hear a clap of thunder, that Leroy is exercising a heavenly battery. Recently we also lost his daughter Annette. Heidi and my condolences and prayers go out to Rosalind, Steven, Billie and the rest of the family.

No comments: