Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekly update

Well folks, another week has gone by. How many of us remembered the significance of July 15th, 1945? I have to admit I had forgotten myself until reminded by my friend Rod Linkous. It was that evening when the scientists working out at Trinity site detonated the world's first atomic explosion, thus opening the Nuclear era. There are stories of the confusion the racket and flash caused even as as far south as El Paso. Typical government response was that it was an ammo dump exploding. Some This never change.

Actually got to listen to the Leon Metz Show Saturday morning on KTSM Radio. Jon Hansen, El Paso County's commissioner to the State Historic Commission, and Frank Gorman, past commissioner were guests. I know both these gentlemen the county historic commission meetings, and my hat's off to them. Over all good show. From Jon, we learned that the State Commission in heavily involved with the restoration of the Governor's Mansion, especially after the recent fire ( it was arson). They also went over the Historic Commission's acquisition of the Magoffin Home.

Also got to read Leon's column in the Time's this morning. Great piece about the Coyote and him place in history and culture.

I did do a little research in the alleged closing of the Museum of History. After the fall out the previous week, it was decided by Counsel to propose a 2.5% increase in their budget, and well as the Libraries and Parks and Rec. I found it intrigueing that the CVB got a 6% increase.

Now am I wrong, but doesn't the CVB control the Plaza Theatre, McKelligan Canyon ( mainly Viva El Paso), the Chavez Performing Art's Center, and the Convention Center? And don't forget the same company controls the monopoly for concessions there as well ( $3.00 for a SMALL bottle of water- It's Plum Ridiculous!)? So with all the income these folks are raking in form the differnt venues, why do THEY need such a large increase in budget? Friend of mine wanted to throw a birthday party on the Plaza Annex, and by the time the catering and such was factored in, it would have cost her in excess of $25,000.00. Makes me wonder if I'm back in Cook County IL again. Just another of the questions I'd like to ask her majesty, Joyce the 1st if I become Mayor.

Regretfully I haven't had time to go down and review the Butterfield Trail exhibit at the MOH. If I know Barb Angus, it's a damned good Exhibit. Now there's an unsung heroine of El Paso. I remember back in the bad old days out on Americas Ave. She and Rene Harris would be able to accomplish so much, with so little, that they could achieve about anything with nothing. One of the few regrets I have about the new digs is that I can't waltz in the back door anymore and pitch in to help.

No comments: